Henry M. Richardson, the proprietor and owner of Hotel Richardson at Sebec Lake, was born in Garland, Maine, December 15, 1839, son of Edward and Hannah (Mason) Richardson. The father, a native of Wayne, Maine, in early life settled as a pioneer in Garland. In 1842 he moved to Atkinson, where he was engaged in farming for the rest of his life, and died at the age of fifty-seven years. Hannah Richardson, his wife, became the mother of several children, six of whom grew to maturity. Of the latter, three are living, namely: Betsey, who resides in Sebec, and is the widow of C. F. Rankin; Moses, a resident of Atkinson; and Henry M., the subject of this sketch. The others were: Lyman E., who died at the age of thirty-eight; Charles S., who died at fifty-four; and Hannah, who married W. T. Kent, and died at the age of forty-five years. The mother died in Sebec at the age of sixty-three. Both parents were members of the Free Will Baptist church.
Henry M. Richardson was educated in the town schools of Atkinson. After completing his studies he engaged in farming, rafted logs, and worked in the lumber camps until he was twenty-one, giving his wages to his father. Upon reaching his majority he leased a sawmill in Sebec village, and carried it on for some four years; also, for a number of years He hauled logs from the stump, drove a conveyance from Sebec village to the railroad station, and conducted boarding-houses for about two years of the time in Still Water and Brewer, Maine. In 1888 he bought and re-modeled the hotel at Sebec village. Hotel-Richardson is situated at the foot of Sebec Lake, in a locality that has been for years a favorite resort of sportsmen, drawn thither by the excellent fishing afforded by the lake and adjacent streams and the abundance of game, including moose, deer, and caribou, in the woods. The house, which is heated by hot-air apparatus, is capable of accommodating fifty guests; and its pleasant rooms and excel-lent table are all that can be desired. Eight steamers upon the lake afford ample opportunities for fishing and sailing. In connection with the house is a good livery stable, which furnishes teams for driving. Sebec Lake is easily accessible from the large cities by the steamship line between Boston and Bangor or by the Maine Central and Bangor & Aroostook Railways to Sebec station. Its popularity both as a sportsman’s retreat and summer resort is increasing every year. Besides his hotel Mr. Richardson has two farms of one hundred acres each. He is actively interested in public affairs, having served as a member of the Board of Selectmen for the past five years. In politics he supports the Republican party.
On November 15, 1873, Mr. Richardson married Annette Ford, who was born in Sebec village, April 24, 1841. Her parents were Abner and Mehitable (Hatch) Ford, the former of whom was a native of a place called Ford Town, named for his father. Mrs. Richardson’s father was a very prominent citizen and a member of the Masons of Milo, who have his portrait in their hall. He was a millwright by trade, and erected many mills in his day. Both he and his wife are now deceased. Mr. Richardson is a member of Kineo Lodge, I.O.O.F., of Dover; and he and Mrs. Richardson are members of the Baptist church.
Source: Biographical review: containing life sketches of leading citizens of Somerset, Piscataquis, Hancock, Washington, and Aroostook counties, Maine. Boston: Biographical Review Publishing Company, 1898.