Hon. Andrew Jackson Chase, a large land-owner in the town of Sebec, son of Colonel Daniel and Sarah N. (Gregory) Chase, was born in Atkinson, Maine, January 6, 1829. His grandfather, Daniel Chase, who was born in Hallowell, Maine, was one of the early settlers of Fairfield, this State. From Fairfield, Grandfather Chase moved to Sebec. He was a sturdy, industrious farmer. Having died at an advanced age, he was buried in Atkinson. In politics he was a Democrat. He was twice married.
Daniel Chase, Jr., was born in Fairfield. He was an enterprising and industrious farmer in Atkinson. In order to pay for his farm, which he had purchased of an Ohio man, when he obtained the necessary amount he rode all the way to the Buckeye State on horseback, there being no other method of getting the money there safely. On his return he sold his horse in Portland. He was successfully engaged during his active life in general farming, also dealing in horses, cattle, and other live stock. In politics he was a stanch Democrat. He was in the House of Representatives and State Senate for one term each. At the time of the Aroostook War he raised a company, and was in active service until the trouble was ended. He died in Atkinson in 1854. His first wife, Sarah N. Gregory Chase, died in 1834. She bore him these children, namely: Josiah G., residing in Cambridgeport, Massachusetts ; Charles, now deceased; Sarah J., residing in Dakota; Elizabeth and Mary, also deceased; Andrew J., the subject of this sketch; Thomas J., the twin brother of Andrew; Weltha T., in Holden, Maine ; Ann M., in Somerville, Massachusetts ; and Meltiah G., in Cleveland, Ohio. By the second marriage, which was contracted with Mehitable Wheeler, there were three children: Daniel W., who is in Michigan; and Adaline and Sarah, both deceased.
Andrew Jackson Chase was reared on the farm in Atkinson. He attended the schools of his native town and Corinth Academy, and studied for two years at Bangor. He intended to take a college course, and worked for the necessary funds, hiring out as a farm hand and teaching for about three terms; but he became infected with the gold fever, and, with his twin brother Thomas, started for California in 1851. They went by the Isthmus route, and were thirty-five days on the way. Thomas died of fever when he was one year in California. Andrew remained until 1853, meeting with success in his ventures. His father died in 1854; and he took charge of affairs at home, acting as administrator and settling the estate. He eventually purchased the homestead, and lived there until 1866. Then, disposing of his property, he moved to his present home in Sebec. The four or five hundred acres he had here at first have been since increased to about fifteen hundred acres. Two years after his settlement in Sebec the Bangor & Piscataquis Railroad was built and a station erected on his land. In 1869 he started in business as a merchant, his first lot of goods arriving on a flat car, the station serving him for a storeroom, and the work-bench for a counter. Successful in this venture also, he in 1870 built a store, to which he has added from time to time. In Sebec village he has one of the best general stores in this section. He also has a general store in South Atkinson and a clothing store in Dover. In addition to his large mercantile business Mr. Chase is extensively engaged in farming, and has a steam mill at Sebec station, where he manufactures long and short lumber and spool stock. Mr. Chase’s farm lies on the beautiful Piscataquis River. He has a pretty borne at Sebec station. A genial and free-mannered man, he is very popular, and is commonly known as “Jack ” Chase.
On February 28, 1856, he was married to Lois K. Lyford, who was born in Dover, Maine, August 5, 1837. She died October 25, 1873, and Mr. Chase has remained true to her memory. Five children blessed the union, namely: Charles J., born May 7, 1858, who is associated in business with his father; Andrew L., born November 26, 1859, a Congregational minister residing in Eliot, Maine; Minnie E., born April 3, 1862, who died February 11, 1864; William F., born November 13, 1866, who died April 24, 1885; and Agnes H., born August 5, 1868, the wife of Samuel M. Holoway, of Machias. Charles J. Chase became his father’s partner in 1879, and since that time the different stores bear the name of A. J. Chase & Son. He married Miss Anna Hanson, and has six children. Andrew L. Chase, who is a Harvard graduate, married Miss Martha Durgin, and has no children. Agnes H. has two children. Mr.
Chase, Sr., who is a Democrat, was Selectman of Sebec for three years and Town Treasurer for two years. He was in the State Senate in 1878. In 1896 and 1898 he was nominated for Congress in the Fourth Congressional District. A Mason in good standing, he is a member of both Mosaic Lodge, No. 52, and the R. A. Chapter at Foxcroft. He attends service at the Union Church, and contributes liberally to the support of the other churches.
Source: Biographical review: containing life sketches of leading citizens of Somerset, Piscataquis, Hancock, Washington, and Aroostook counties, Maine. Boston: Biographical Review Publishing Company, 1898.