George O. Nickerson, D.D.S., of Houlton, Aroostook County, who has won an extended reputation for skill In dentistry, was born in the neighboring town of New Limerick, May 20, 1860, son of Charles Nickerson. The father, a native of Charlestown, Massachusetts, was reared and educated in New Limerick, Maine, whither his parents removed with their large family of children. He was brought up on the farm, which he assisted his father to redeem from the wilderness. In 1861 he removed to Hodgdon, where he has since carried on general farming with success. Public-spirited, able, and intelligent, he takes much interest in town affairs, and is actively identified with the Republican party. While a member of the Baptist church, he holds liberal views regarding the professors of other creeds. He married Miss Martha D. Nickerson, by whom he became the father of three children — Walter, Alice, and George Q. Alice, who married James K. Osgood, died April 13, 1876.
George O. Nickerson attended the district schools of Hodgdon, and was afterward a pupil of the Houlton Academy. He was subsequently a clerk for a time in the dry-goods store of Charles P. Tenney, where he obtained a practical knowledge of business methods and principles. The following six years were spent in business with his brother Walter in Houlton. Then he sold out his interest in the firm to his partner, and took up the study of dentistry, for which he had a predilection. After completing a three years’ course at the Philadelphia Dental College he received his degree in 1891, and at once established himself in Houlton. He was the first dentist to locate here who took a full course in dental surgery, and remains the only one who has done so up to the present. Keeping abreast of the times as regards new inventions and improvements, his work compares favorably with that of the best dentists in the State. The natural result is that he has an extensive practice in the district.
Not restricting himself to his profession, however, Dr. Nickerson, some time ago, for five thousand dollars bought the property now known as the Highlands, and, with three other persons, formed a syndicate that laid out this property into streets and building lots, selling the latter at from three hundred dollars to five hundred dollars each. This venture has proved a most profitable investment for its originators and a valuable addition to the city. The Doctor also finds time for recreation, and spends many pleasant hours in hunting, fishing, and driving. An expert horseman, he keeps trotting horses, usually of the 2.30 class, and, under his own driving, is often a winner on the track. Fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of Pythias.
Source: Biographical review: containing life sketches of leading citizens of Somerset, Piscataquis, Hancock, Washington, and Aroostook counties, Maine. Boston: Biographical Review Publishing Company, 1898.