Alexander P. Porter, a lifelong resident of Strong, Franklin County, Me., and one of the substantial business men of this place, was born March 6, 1825, and died at his late home here, January 28, 1876.
His parents, Ezekiel and Eunice (Hitchcock) Porter, spent their entire lives in Strong, his mother’s death occurring here in 1848, and his father’s in 1867. The latter was a leading merchant of the town, and also operated a saw and grist mill. He had nine children, three of whom died in infancy. Six grew to years of maturity, as follows: Thurza C., who is the widow of the late Lemuel Crosby, a merchant, and lives in Phillips, Maine; Jeremy, who is retired from active pursuits, and resides in Strong village; Eunice, widow of the late Dr. Edmund Russell, of Lewiston, Maine, who now lives with her son in Farmington; Alexander P., whose name begins this sketch; Elias H., proprietor of a hotel at Strong; and Sarah, who was the wife of Albert Daggett, and died in 1886.
Alexander P. Porter was bred and educated in his native town. On attaining his majority he entered into business relations with his father, which continued until the death of the latter in 1867. From that time until the close of his earthly career he had charge of the mills at Strong, including the grist and saw mills. A man of much force of character, possessing good financial and executive ability, he prospered in all of his undertakings. He was held in high esteem by his fellow-men, and had the respect of the community in which he spent his life, being popular and well liked by both old and young. He invariably cast his vote in favor of the Republican party, but never held pubic office, his business demanding his entire time and attention.
On April 29, 1866, Mr. Porter married Miss Emily S. Gould, who was born in New Portland, Somerset County, February 15, 1838, a daughter of Samuel and Mary (Spooner) Gould, of that town. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Porter are three in number, namely: Mary E., born May 25, 1867; Gould Alexander, born May to, 1869; and Nellie Emery, born May 31, 1873. In July, 1895, Mrs. Porter disposed of her interests in Strong, and removed with her family to the village of North Anson, where she purchased property at the corner of Madison and Summer Streets, that is now her home.
Source: Biographical review: containing life sketches of leading citizens of Somerset, Piscataquis, Hancock, Washington, and Aroostook counties, Maine. Boston: Biographical Review Publishing Company, 1898.