Alonzo J. Long, the proprietor of a large general store in Blue Hill, Hancock County, was born in this town, June 23, 1849, son of James R. and Lavinia (Howard) Long. The grandfather, Joel Long, who was born in Castine, Maine, in July, 1782, learned the trade of a comb-maker in Boston, and in 1810 came to East Blue Hill, being the first permanent settler in this place. He first tended a saw-mill. Later he cleared a good farm, and, purchasing the mill in which he had previously worked, became quite successful. His death occurred in 1871. He married Eliza Rogers, of Boston.
James R. Long, Alonzo J. Long’s father, a native of Blue Hill, in his younger days was a millman. He visited California during the gold fever, worked for a time in the mines and at the carpenter’s trade, and then returned to Blue Hill. During the Civil War he enlisted in the Second Regiment, Maine Volunteer Infantry, and took part in the battles of Malvern Hill and Hanover Court-house and the siege of Yorktown. Since leaving the army he has resided in a house that he erected when a young man. He married Lavinia, a daughter of Samuel Howard, of Searsmont, Maine, and with her reared eight children; namely, Mary E., Laura E., Lillian A., Minnie A., Miles ff., Alonzo J., Solon A., and Edgar C. Long. Mary E. married Harland P. Stover, and died leaving three children — Henry H., Eugene H., and Walter E. Laura E. married Edward H. Sheafe, who is in business in the West. Lillian A. married Joseph Johnson, of Blue Hill, and has one daughter, Minnie A. Johnson. Minnie A. Long married Harry W. Binder, formerly of Philadelphia, and now of Council Bluffs, lowa, and has two children — Frank and Venia. Miles H., who resides in Blue Hill, married Cora Wood, and has three children — Archie, Ethelyn M., and Homer. Solon A., residing at East Blue Hill, married Carrie Blodgett, and has four children — Ralph, Jessie, Margie, and Harland P. Edgar C. married Fanny Grindle, and has two children — Aubrey and Roscoe Long.
Alonzo J. Long acquired a limited education in the district schools. At the age of twenty-one he began to learn the stone-cutter’s trade, which he followed for fourteen years. In 1883 he took a contract to furnish General Tilson with stone balustrades for government buildings then in process of erection at Washington, D.C., a venture that proved remunerative. Next year he started in the manufacture of lumber, purchasing and improving a saw and grist mill, and also engaged in a general mercantile business, which he has since carried on with success.
Mr. Long married Hannah A. Carter, a daughter of Calvin Carter, and now has two sons—Oscar L. and Earl F. Long. Oscar L., a graduate of Baltimore (Md.) Medical College, is now a practicing physician in Harrington; while Earl F. is attending school. In politics Mr. Long is a Republican. His first Presidential vote was given to U. S. Grant in 1872. He has served with credit as Town Treasurer for four years. The ability he displays in handling a large and increasing business promises well for the future prosperity of the town, and he deservedly ranks as one of the most progressive men in the county. His fraternal affiliations are confined to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In religious belief he is a Calvinist Baptist, being one of the principal supporters and the senior Deacon of the First Baptist Church.
Source: Biographical review: containing life sketches of leading citizens of Somerset, Piscataquis, Hancock, Washington, and Aroostook counties, Maine. Boston: Biographical Review Publishing Company, 1898.