Biography of Charles H. Sawyer

Charles H. Sawyer, of Greenville, the landlord of the Lake House, was born in Augusta, Maine, December 2, 1844. His parents, Charles and Elizabeth (Plummer) Sawyer, are both natives of the Pine Tree State. The father, who was born in Saco, was in the hotel business a great many years. He managed the Cushnoch House and the Stanley House in Augusta. In 1858 he moved to Greenville and took charge of the Seboonook House, at the same time managing the Eveleth House. Afterward, in Newport, Maine, he was in charge of the Shaw House for a number of years. He died in Newport, November 8, 1897. An energetic and capable man, he was very popular as a hotel-keeper. In politics he was an active Republican, and in Newport he served as Selectman and Tax Collector for a number of years. His wife had nine children, namely: Nellie, the wife of J. B. Marsh, of Newport, Maine; Charles H., the subject of this sketch; Sarah J., now the wife of E. J. Winnie, of Newport; Anna, the wife of O. E. Dexter, of the same place; Sumner F., a resident of Winthrop, Maine; Carrie E., residing in Newport; Louisa, the wife of David T. Sanders, of Greenville; and George E. and Louisa, both deceased.

Charles H. Sawyer grew to manhood in Augusta and Greenville. He attended school in both places, and was for some time a student at Foxcroft Academy. In 1862, though under age, he enlisted in Company E, Eighteenth Maine Regiment, which was afterward merged in the First Heavy Maine Artillery. He was three years in the service, participating in some of the greatest conflicts of the war, including those fought at Spottsylvania, North Anna, Tolopotomy Creek, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Jerusalem, Deep Run, Deep Bottom, Poplar Springs, South Weldon, Hatch’s Creek, James Farm, the capture of Petersburg and Amelia Springs, and was present at the surrender of Lee. Mr. Sawyer was never in hospital or camp when his company was in action, but was always in his place; and, though his comrades fell about him, he miraculously escaped injury. After he was honorably discharged, on September t, 1865, he kept the Saco House in Saco, Maine, for a year. He was then in the livery business in Newport, Maine, for two years. In 1868 he took charge of the Lake House, which has now been under his able management for thirty years. In that period for a while he managed the Lake Hebron Hotel at Monson and the Foxcroft Exchange. Today he is one of the oldest and most popular hotel men in this section. His house is a neat, modern hotel, beautifully situated on the bank of Moosehead Lake. The rooms are airy and light, the beds good, and the cuisine and service excellent. Free transportation to the depot is provided for the guests, and there is a good livery attached to the hotel. The house accommodates seventy-five guests and is open the year round.

Mr. Sawyer was married in 1865 to Elizabeth J. Littlefield, a native of this county. He has one son, Carl I. Sawyer, born in Greenville, March 3, 1873, who married Miss Belle Larkin, of Chester, Pennsylvania, resides in Boston, and is the secretary of the Sunny Side Gold Mining Company. Mr. Charles H. Sawyer is a Republican. He is Junior Warden of Columbia Lodge, No. 200, F. & A. M., of Greenville, having membership in Piscataquis Royal Arch Chapter, of Dover, St. John’s Commandery, of Bangor, and Kora Temple, of Lewiston; belongs to Kineo Lodge, No. 64, I.O.O.F., at Dover; and is a member of Moosehead Lodge, No. 46, A. 0. U. W., at Greenville. On religious subjects his views are liberal.

Source: Biographical review: containing life sketches of leading citizens of Somerset, Piscataquis, Hancock, Washington, and Aroostook counties, Maine. Boston: Biographical Review Publishing Company, 1898.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top